Just imagine celebrating your wedding in Siena at the meeting point of the Sienese Renaissance: the Battistero di San Giovanni, rich in works of art of painting and sculpture.
The Baptistery of San Giovanni is located in the square of the same name near the base of the apse of the Duomo. It was built between 1316 and 1325. The unfinished façade dates back to the second half of the 14th century, while the interior was enriched during the 15th century with important paintings and sculptures.
The most interesting work preserved inside the Baptistery is certainly the baptismal font, dating back to the early Tuscan Renaissance, designed by Jacopo della Quercia. The font, hexagonal in shape, is decorated with gilded bronze panels depicting scenes from the life of St Baptist by Jacopo della Quercia, Donatello, Giovanni di Turino, Turino di Sano and Lorenzo Ghiberti, interspersed with statues of virtues: Hope and Faith by Donatello, while the others are attributed to Goro di Neroccio and Giovanni di Turino.
The ciborium is decorated with four bronze musician angels by Donatello and Giovanni di Turino, and is surmounted by a statue of St. John the Baptist and adorned with bas-reliefs by Jacopo della Quercia.
Other works of art in the Baptistery include statues from the school of Giovanni Pisano, frescoes by Vecchietta and a triptych with the Madonna, saints and stories of St Stephen by Andrea Vanni.
Send us a message